Stift Melk is a Benedictines convent in Niederösterreich.
The baroque building has been used as a convent since the year 1122. A fire destroyed the original buildings around 1297,and after lots of other disasters, the convent was rebuild to the "stift" as we know it today, from 1711 till about 1745.
The last restoration of the church was finished in 1987, while the total project ended in 1995.
Since 1995 lots of tourists came to see the beautiful restored Stift Melk in it's full glory. In 1980 with the exhibition "Josef II and his time", more then 663.000 visitors passed the doors of Stift Melk.
For more information go to: http://www.noe.co.at/